Best New Book for MenJanuary 12, 2012
I just completed reading this book and have to say it is one of the best books on Christian Men and Men’s Ministry. I read it in about five hours because I could not put it down!
This book is written by the same author of Man in the Mirror (http://www.maninthemirror.org) and builds upon 7 Primal Principles of the man’s soul. They are as follows:
1. To believe, really belive, that God knows, loves, and cares about me personally.
2. To believe my life has a divine purpose.
3. To break free from the destructive behaviors that keep dragging me down.
4. To satisfy my soul’s thirst for transcendence, awe, and communion with Christ.
5. To love and be loved without reservation.
6. To make a contribution and leave a legacy.
7. To feel and know I am not in this alone.
As one who feels particular called to the discipleship of men, this book was awesome and extremely relevant. It isn’t one of those self-help books, but more of an eye-opening manual on how to become more “alive” as a Christian Man. He addresses the tendency of men to lose heart, go silent, and anesthetize their pain through seclusion. Many of us know how often men make the decision to follow Christ, but are then left to the wolf because no one disciples them. If you think about it, discipleship was the first thing on the mind of Christ when He rose. What did he do first? Go after his disciples and reinforce the Gospel. We should do the same.
Here are some scary stats on Christian Men shared in the book:
- 80% are so emotionally impaired they’re unable to express or even identify their feelings
- 55% of marriages experience financial dishonesty, mostly by the husband
- 50% of men who attend church still seek out pornography
- 40% get divorced affecting over 1 million children a year
I was on the floor when I saw these. No wonder we have such a void in the church today of Christian Men, real Christian Men. If you’re in ministry or in a men’s group or simply feel called by Christ to start something, I would highly encourage you to read this book! Great read and very applicable.
Have new posts delivered right to your email, click here.
Subscribe to Christian Men-Christian Warriors by Email
About the Writer:
Trent Cotton has spent a number of years in management and business consulting. After spending some time in the field, he joined the HR department, beginning in recruiting and eventually serving as the Department Head of HR for one of the major lines of business. With such a varied background, he works to bring all of these together to help churches and other Christian organizations incorporate some common business practices into their ministries to enable them to better serve the Kingdom. In his free time, he also writes a lot on Church Development as a Church Consultant.
As a husband and father of three, Trent Cotton has a passion surrounding the role Christian Men are to play in their families, communities, churches and businesses. This particular blog is dedicated to helping men take back the role that we have lost in society.